Saturday, August 15, 2009

Nana's insipiration

So many of you who know me well know that my grandmother (Ruth -- Maddie's middle namesake) was a huge part of my life, and even now years after she has been gone, still is so close to my heart. She was the oldest of 8 kids (and the ONLY girl!!), and through her entire almost 91 years never uttered a curse word, only "took" wine as medicine late in life and according to doctor's orders, and truly was as near to a saint as any person could be. My sister and I have really wonderful memories of spending weeks here and there with Grandma and Papa during our childhood summers. Wonderful people, those two.

So often my mother-in-law asks me what my grandmother did to foster such a close bond. I'm not sure I have the exact answer, since so much of who she was as a person and her character were all such positive forces in our lives. She was quiet, but strong, honest and loving. And she'd brush our hair for what seemed like hours, let us stay up late to watch Johnny Carson, and all those other fun things grandparents do.

But this week I saw something similar in my mother-in-law that makes me feel so grateful for our girls to have the grandparents they do. But especially important, I think, is that my daughters will have her as a strong woman to look up to.

Sadly, Becky (my MIL does have a name!!), received a phone call a few nights ago from her longtime friend Lynn that her husband had possibly just died. We happened to all be at my in-law's home for dinner that night, so I was witness to Becky's end of the conversation. She immediately dropped everything, handed dinner duties off to us, and rushed to her friend's aid. Lynn and her now departed husband Mike hosted the engagement party for Dru and me some 12 years ago, and while I don't personally know them all that well, I know that they had found happiness together and I can't imagine losing someone as suddenly as she did.

In any case, Becky sat with Lynn at the hospital to hear the official news, and has since been spending time with her at her home awaiting family to come into town, and essentially taking care of whatever needs her friend has in a time of loss. I can only hope that my girls (and I) can attempt to be such a loyal friend to those that we love. Thank you Becky, this is exactly the kind of love that will endear your girls to you!!

1 comment:

Melissa Maris said...

This made me teary. What a sweet tribute to Becky - and what a wonderful mother-in-law to have.