Now that that's out of the way, I had to write once more because I realized today that I can manufacture quite a bit of happiness out of doing things that are free. In a challenged economy, that's a good thing, right? Now I say all of this with great gratitude that my husband is gainfully employed, but we have our own set of financial challenges and goals to reach, and for 2009 we are really trying to stick to a strict budget. So here are some fun things I've done in recent days that have cost almost nothing, but have propelled my spirit, mood and frankly, motivate me to see what else can be done.
- Actually use those coupons that get stuck on our door every quarter for a free sandwich at Chick-fil-A. Shaves my eating out budget (esp with Maddie, where CFA and McD's rank super high), in half if Mommy eats free. I do have to buy the sweet tea though...not the same without that.
- Rearranged my furniture (thanks Mom!); rickety breakfast room chairs to lesser used dining room, dining chairs to breakfast room. And voila! Feels like a new kitchen (ok, sort of).
- Swapped guest duvet for master duvet. Again, semi-new decor; zero dollars.
- Doubling up newspaper coupons and store circular sales works; got free toothpaste and a whole bunch of ice cream for Dru for next to nothing. I recognize the irony in those purchases, btw.
- Visit our local library at least twice a month, get countless hours of reading time, gratis!
- Hang out in our backyard or local park
- Took leftover easel paper and markers to make a "paper Maddie." Traced her, let her draw on clothes, hair, eyes, mouth, etc. She could have worked on that for hours!
I'm sure there are more. But the point is, all this stuff didn't require much thought, and certainly didn't require much $$. Simple is good!




1 comment:
I love this kind of stuff. I watched an Oprah episode filled with similar tips recently. There were even two friends who traded furniture to change up their decor.
Um also love the toothpaste/ice cream bullet. Very funny!
Post a Comment