On V-day proper Dru and I awoke a bit ahead of the girls, made a big breakfast and laid out some fun, small gifts for them on the kitchen table. Maddie got new headbands from the 1 spot at Target (love that!), and Daddy gave them the most touching cards I've ever seen. Clearly, he inherited his father's knack for writing sweet messages to our girls. Pop Pop even mailed handwritten valentines on his yellow legal pad paper that he colored sweet flowers and hearts onto. So we had those along with her valentine that she painted and mailed from school in our mailslot for her to open. Too fun! Photo is of her clutching her bacon with her new headband. Gotta love that...I've seen her put away no less than 6 slices of bacon in a sitting!
I thought long and hard about what to do for Dru this Valentine's Day. He is such an amazing husband and father, and I wanted to do something from the heart (but free!). So here is what he opened from me:
Dearest Dru,
I have been thinking long and hard about the best Valentine's Day card and message I could send to you, and this idea came to me.
After reading The Five Love Languages we each realized that "words of affirmation" are our language, and yet somehow we don't always seem to naturally give those to one another. I'm not sure how that has happened! But there are so many things that I am so grateful for with you as my husband. So I have decided to not only affirm you directly, and I'm tempted to share this with everyone I know! You are just the greatest gift I could've been given! So, that said, here is just a small list of things you do that I am so thankful for -- some big, some small -- all great:
· You never miss work and have the best work ethic I've ever known in any person
· You have received many promotions over the years in your career, and still aren't satisfied
· You pursue your dreams and interests
· You provide more than enough financially for me to be home with our girls, to pay for our home, cars, food, all our necessities, and then some
· You take care of the "icky" projects around our home any time I ask
· You take the trash and recycling out so that I don't have to
· You are fun to work in the yard with, when we decide to make time for that!
· Your silliness lightens my serious side -- and clearly at least one of our children has taken after you there!
· You are a passionate learner whether for your career or hobbies
· You make me cry when I see you have fun with Maddie or cuddle either of our daughters; I know you are making precious memories for them, and I know you love those moments with them! That is the most precious gift you can give them as a father is your time and love, and I’m so grateful for that!
· You are devoted to all of your friends
· Your commitment to our church and experiences there inspire me
I love you so much. I'm sure I'm missing a ton, but these are all the things that I love the most about you and am thankful for. Thank you for being a perfect husband, father and friend.
Happy Valentine's Day!
Me
Wishing all our friends the love, laughter and blessings that we are fortunate to share!!




2 comments:
This is the most precious post ever. I just love you guys. I want to be you and Dru when I grow up and get married!
I'm so proud of you for going all out on the blog! I look forward to staying in the loop on all of Maddie's funny business and Amelie's development.
XOXOXO
Love your blog! Hopefully we can find time to keep this up amongst the busyness of life...
Hugs,
Rachel
Post a Comment